Ok, here's a little overall history. I bought a pair of linen overall shorts about 10 years ago at a little shop that used to be here in town called Timbuktu. They sold strictly linen clothes, and I frequented their little shop enough for them to ask me to model some of their clothes occasionally. When the time came last year to give up the overall shorts (they were pretty short, and now that my body is a little more, um...., mature, I decided it was time to stop wearing them) I couldn't bring myself to take them to the goodwill, so I kept them, with the hopes of using the material for something eventually. The idea hit me the other day to make a messenger-ish bag out of them so this is what I did.
- cut the front from the back of the overalls
- cut the back in 1/2 and cut rectangles around each back pocket for the front and back of the bag.
- cut strips of material from the remaining material from the back of the overalls and sewed them together for the gusset.
- sewed the front and back to the gusset.
- cut a piece of material from the front leg area for the flap
- sewed the flap on
- cut and sewed in the lining
- used part of the overall straps and other pieces sewn together for the shoulder strap
- sewed shoulder strap onto bag.
I was at a crossroads in my previous post needing some help and I received so many helpful comments (here and here) but when I read the one LeeAnn left, I knew it had to be. Pin tucks. Bingo. Today I took the flap apart, sewed in some corded pin tucks, and put it back together ONCE AGAIN (and yes, that is velllllvet ric-rac, yummy!). I am in love with it now. I liked it before, but now I love it! Thank you all for your suggestions and candid thoughts!