(Pattern: Kwik Sew skirt 3098, fabric: Moda Mochi dot linen from Mama Said Sew)
Before there was quilting (for me), there were clothes. In fact, I was nervous to start quilting because I heard time and time again that I would never want to sew clothing again. Happily, that hasn't happened although I go through dry spells, lacking the motivation to sew garments because of the necessary evil of alterating patterns so they fit well. And since I to this day have no desire to sew a muslin, I always start out with the good stuff and most times I'm sorely disappointed with the first go round.
However, I finally got smart and started graded my patterns as I cut them out. This has increased the chances of the garment fitting the first time around.
Take the sorbetto tank for instance, I cut the side seams at a size 12, the armholes size 10, and the shoulder area a size 8. I based my decision for cutting on the finished size of the tank in those areas. I don't know *why* I never thought of doing this in the first place! I'm kinda slow I guess.
(shirt: Yuki_wafflepatterns on instagram's warabi in a denim and linen blend from Mama Said Sew, skirt Quik Sew 3098 in Moda mochi solid linen with Suzuko Koseki accents for pockets)
(April Rhodes Simple slip pattern altered into a tank top, cut on the bias instead of straight grain. Fabric: gingham lawn on clearance at Joann's.)
(skirt pattern: Simplicity it's sew easy 2410, fabric: Cotton and Steel matchsticks)
For these next two pics, I cut the pattern on the bias and I use them to sleep in.
(both images pattern: April Rhodes simple slip pattern. Fabrics: Heather Bailey Momentum voile both pattern and fabrics from Mama Said Sew)
I've never made a muslin for a clothing pattern before. I've always just cut into the good stuff straight away and many times I ended up super sorry that I did.
But this time, after seeing this Devon, I bought the pattern and made a muslin with some vintage poly sheeting that a friend gave me a few years ago. I'm really pretty happy with how it turned out and I'm glad I used some fabric that makes the muslin wearable.
The only change I made to the pattern was to make slits in the side seams. There wasn't a lot of wiggle room around my hip area, so the slits took care of that.
The only other change I'll make on the next one I sew up will be to make the front slit (where the tie is) a little deeper and wider. Oh, and I'll use some of my voile or liberty fabric for it instead of a sheet.
So here's my review:
it's super easy to cut out with a rotary cutter.
the instructions are geared for someone without a serger
it sews up super quick
there are only 5 pattern pieces for the view I made
the pattern is 300 and some pages and because of the sheer number of pages, was slightly confusing as to which pages I needed to print for the view I made.
the way the pattern pieces were assembled was a bit cumbersome compared to other pdf patterns I've assembled.
So there you have it. All in all, the Devon Peasant was simple and the result is well worth the short investment in time to put the pattern together and sew. Especially if you make more than one!
Hope you're having a great weekend whereever you are!