I am most definitely a child of the 70's. I love the clothing styles from then, and the quilts from that time frame were so charming! Thick, lofty(polyester) batting and acrylic ties were the thing. Or if the quilt wasn't tied, it was loosely quilted so the quilt was still mega puffy. And heck, even the quilt top might have been polyester or a poly blend. Do you remember those double knit polys?! I have a pillow made from some squares of it my dad sent me several years ago!
For the Manly quilt, I am paying tribute to the 70's, giving it a modern day twist, using natural fibre. The batting is a lofty wool, and the ties are spun wool. The quilt is approximately 63"X71".
I used fabric from three different Benartex lines:
The sashiko prints from Bellissimo in the lower right corner (for the center of the patchwork and the binding), plaid taupe from Paintbox/Shadows (for the backing) and all 24 colors available of Burlap (for the outside edges of the patchwork).
For the main patchwork, I used my Go! cutter and 5" die to cut 224 5" squares. The Go! cutter made light work of this step which I was pleased with since cutting is my least favorite part.
Here is a diagram of my layout:
Blues on the left, tans on the bottom, purples/reds on the right, greens on the top, and blacks/dark grays in the center.
Once the you have the top assembled to your liking, make a quilt sandwich with your top, batting and backing and baste it with pins in every other center of each square to prep it for tying.
To tie your quilt, use your tapestry needle and wool yarn to stitch a running stitch through all layers of your sandwich, diagonally through the center of each unpinned square.
Once all the unpinned squares are stitched, cut the yarn where the four squares come to a point (half way between each stitch)
and then use a sewer's knot to tie each piece of yarn. Trim the knotted yarn to the length of your liking.
Now remove the pins and stitch and tie the remaining squares.
Tying your quilt in this manner will give a clean finish to the backing. All the stitches will be straight and the stitch pattern on the back will have an orderly appearance.
Once you have tied your quilt, bind it and you are finished.
I want to thank Benartex for sending the lovely fabric, this project was a joy to work on. And what has made it even more fun is L-man has said several times this is his favorite quilt! I am pleased I hit the mark with the Manly quilt!
I am also excited that because of Benartex's generosity, I have enough remaining fabric for a second quilt top and part of a backing. If you would like to make a manly quilt of your own, leave a comment on this post telling me who you would make a Manly quilt for if you win, and I will chose a winner on this Friday. (US entries only please due to shipping costs)
Have you seen the new Sew-Ichigo pattern set, "back to school" yet? Kerry has a fantastically cute and super easy pencil, as well as a pencil wheel (which is just as easy). I have a capped and uncapped hi-liter available in the set. We're hoping it will make your back to school time a smoother, happier event!
We decided to make a pencil case with the patterns. Here's Kerry's:
using Lisa's tutorial here. Kerry added such a nice touch with the lace, and I decided to off center the zip on mine. Just a tip, if you comment on this post, you will be entered into Lisa's giveaway post for two of the pattern sets if you hurry! The giveaway closes on the 17th!
On the homefront, I'm super excited to have finished this kitchen curtain:
and hanging in the window:
You might remember my popbottle curtain here? Well, I thought it would be nice to have a popsicle one too so I can switch them up occasionally. I used Ayumi's super penguin pattern available at Superbuzzy. Thank you Ayumi for such a "sweet" pattern!!
Finally, I'd like to brag on you guys a little bit! I've received a few photos of projects made with my patterns that I'd like to share! It makes me so proud to share these pics.
The lovely Julia from Singapore has shared a progress photo of her juice/sprouts quilt with Ayumi who sent it to me.
Ayumi and I worked on these patterns together for Sew Mama Sew!. Ayumi came up with the juice pattern, and I did the sprout pattern. Don't they look adorable together?
And then you all know Amber! I asked her to send these pics to me of her latte(s) to go!
I just love the fabrics she chose!!
Ok everyone, I'm off! L-man and I are going to dig a hole in the super rocky ground by our driveway for a new address sign today. Fun!
Happy Monday to you! Did you have a nice weekend? I hope so!
I took some time this weekend to familiarize myself with Julika a bit more and did a little crazy fmq'ing to finish off my Rooms of My Heart quilt. (I know it looks kind of interesting and crazy fun, so click on the link to read more about it!)
I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but there are swirls, checks, diamonds, loopdy loos, outlines, and everything else you can imagine in the quilting.
(Front of "Rooms of My Heart")
In celebration of my completion of this quilt (well, not really, but it just sounded more fun that way!), the fine people at A Joyful Soul Fabrics are offering sewtakeahike readers the chance to win a $25 gc to their store. Leave a comment telling me about something that put a smile on your face this last weekend and you'll be entered in the drawing. I'll choose a winner on Thursday!
Three more things:
shop anytime with A Joyful Soul Fabrics from now through May 25th this week and use the discount code HIKE15 and enjoy 15% off your purchase!