I am most definitely a child of the 70's. I love the clothing styles from then, and the quilts from that time frame were so charming! Thick, lofty(polyester) batting and acrylic ties were the thing. Or if the quilt wasn't tied, it was loosely quilted so the quilt was still mega puffy. And heck, even the quilt top might have been polyester or a poly blend. Do you remember those double knit polys?! I have a pillow made from some squares of it my dad sent me several years ago!
For the Manly quilt, I am paying tribute to the 70's, giving it a modern day twist, using natural fibre. The batting is a lofty wool, and the ties are spun wool. The quilt is approximately 63"X71".
I used fabric from three different Benartex lines:
The sashiko prints from Bellissimo in the lower right corner (for the center of the patchwork and the binding), plaid taupe from Paintbox/Shadows (for the backing) and all 24 colors available of Burlap (for the outside edges of the patchwork).
For the main patchwork, I used my Go! cutter and 5" die to cut 224 5" squares. The Go! cutter made light work of this step which I was pleased with since cutting is my least favorite part.
Here is a diagram of my layout:
Blues on the left, tans on the bottom, purples/reds on the right, greens on the top, and blacks/dark grays in the center.
Once the you have the top assembled to your liking, make a quilt sandwich with your top, batting and backing and baste it with pins in every other center of each square to prep it for tying.
To tie your quilt, use your tapestry needle and wool yarn to stitch a running stitch through all layers of your sandwich, diagonally through the center of each unpinned square.
Once all the unpinned squares are stitched, cut the yarn where the four squares come to a point (half way between each stitch)
and then use a sewer's knot to tie each piece of yarn. Trim the knotted yarn to the length of your liking.
Now remove the pins and stitch and tie the remaining squares.
Tying your quilt in this manner will give a clean finish to the backing. All the stitches will be straight and the stitch pattern on the back will have an orderly appearance.
Once you have tied your quilt, bind it and you are finished.
I want to thank Benartex for sending the lovely fabric, this project was a joy to work on. And what has made it even more fun is L-man has said several times this is his favorite quilt! I am pleased I hit the mark with the Manly quilt!
I am also excited that because of Benartex's generosity, I have enough remaining fabric for a second quilt top and part of a backing. If you would like to make a manly quilt of your own, leave a comment on this post telling me who you would make a Manly quilt for if you win, and I will chose a winner on this Friday. (US entries only please due to shipping costs)
Today I'd like to introduce you all to Gene Black (make sure and check out his blog, he is an incredibly talented artist!).
He was the winner of the P&B textiles fq set a few weeks ago and he chose Island Breeze to make his project with.
I love how Gene explains his process in this post, and the result is a vibrant, happy quilt!
Nice work on the quilt Gene, and the quilting you did on it is fabulous!
The first thing that drew me to the Island Breeze collection was the vibrant colors. I almost immediately saw butterfly wings flitting in the sunlight. Penny had asked for a the comment of which collection you would choose and " if you already have an idea, what you might make with them?" I thought, "These would be so fun to make a wall quilt for our church youth room." I had heard that the Youth Director was looking for something to put on the walls. She had looked at one of my quilt wall hangings a year ago but it sold to someone else.
When I won, I realized that I needed to make a plan. So I did a mockup in Electric Quilt. Of course I had to use the embellishment butterflies that were in the program unless I wanted to create them from scratch for the mockup.
After I had a basic plan, I thought about how I would use the fabric to make the butterflies. I decided to do fusible applique and die cut the shapes. I used some heart shapes and some "feather" shapes to create the wings. For the bodies I cut some single daisy petals.
Some of these I modified by free cutting with scissors for the final quilt. Of course I applied the fusible to the fabric before cutting the shapes. That required choosing the fabrics to be the butterflies. I chose these.
I also had to make the background blocks and I chose to use black along with a couple of the other fabrics from the line.
I got the quilt all sewn and free motion quilted.
It all went quickly since it was so inspiring to me. I love the quilting on the back which is all black.
I am glad this quilt is going to be where I can visit it again. As you can see, it really makes me smile.