Hi everyone! Today's the day! Head on over to Sara's blog, Sew Sweetness to read my review for making this Japanese bag. And no, I don't read Japanese. But I hope after reading my post you will be encouraged to try a Japanese pattern yourself!
I've never made a muslin for a clothing pattern before. I've always just cut into the good stuff straight away and many times I ended up super sorry that I did.
But this time, after seeing this Devon, I bought the pattern and made a muslin with some vintage poly sheeting that a friend gave me a few years ago. I'm really pretty happy with how it turned out and I'm glad I used some fabric that makes the muslin wearable.
The only change I made to the pattern was to make slits in the side seams. There wasn't a lot of wiggle room around my hip area, so the slits took care of that.
The only other change I'll make on the next one I sew up will be to make the front slit (where the tie is) a little deeper and wider. Oh, and I'll use some of my voile or liberty fabric for it instead of a sheet.
So here's my review:
it's super easy to cut out with a rotary cutter.
the instructions are geared for someone without a serger
it sews up super quick
there are only 5 pattern pieces for the view I made
the pattern is 300 and some pages and because of the sheer number of pages, was slightly confusing as to which pages I needed to print for the view I made.
the way the pattern pieces were assembled was a bit cumbersome compared to other pdf patterns I've assembled.
So there you have it. All in all, the Devon Peasant was simple and the result is well worth the short investment in time to put the pattern together and sew. Especially if you make more than one!
Hope you're having a great weekend whereever you are!